Sunday, November 2, 2014

Digging for Treasure

My 2 baby bears and I took advantage of the nice weather this weekend and went potato hunting in the garden.  They were amazed how with a turn of the garden fork potatoes would magically appear from underground.  There was fierce competition to gather them up.




I planted 12 each of Rua and Summer Delight potatoes in early August.  The tops were slowly starting to look brown so I figured it was time to harvest.  It is nice having fresh potatoes from the garden but I will do a little more research into varieties next year.   I was hoping these would be firm and waxy, but both are quite fluffy.  The Summer Delight are the better of the 2, slightly yellow flesh and nice earthy flavour.  The Rua is white and quite bland, I'll need to be a little more creative when cooking these.

2 comments:

  1. wow your garden is so beautiful and tidy. Looking amazing Mx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you =) It's starting to look a little wild around the edges now - everything has grown heaps and sweet peas have jumped the fence and a slowly trying to climb over my kale - like the triffid!

      Delete

Feel free to comment - I love to hear from my readers